Tuesday 15 October 2013

Importance of G.P.S

So today (October 15, 2013) I had an interview (ish) in Princeton, New Jersey. I've been in New Jersey for less than a week now, but I've been driving up and about and checking Google Maps frequently for routes, and I feel like I'm getting to know the place pretty quickly. Frankly, this morning, I felt lke I already knew the place enough to go it alone, sans G.P.S.
For the interview (ish) I was given directions by email, which seemed pretty straightforward... EXCEPT, the directions I got from the person told me to go North, as opposed to South. I was to look for Exit 1B. Imagine my annoyance when I saw Exit 8, turn into Exit 9, then 10. I took the next exit, in the hopes of finding a road leading to the Northbound side of the road I was taking. A who tell mi fi guh try dat? Mi laaaaass, Mi laaaaaas, Mi laaaaaas!
(Translation for non-Jamaicans: I was very lost).

Finally, good sense prevailed after driving around aimlessly for about 10 minutes and I pulled into a parking lot and used the G.P.S on my phone. It was pretty much smooth sailing after that... until I reached my destination. Instead of going straight into the complex, I made a turn I wasn't supposed to and drove aimlessly again for another 10 or so minutes! My interview was for 11:00 a.m., and I didn't park in the complex till about 11:25 a.m., all because I got lost. And to top it off, when I got to the actual building, I still couldn't find the place! (Y'all think I ignored the warning signs? Maybe I did, nuh true?)
Turns out that I shoulda probably just stayed at my yard. I think that kind of job (Insurance Sales) really wasn't for me anyway, and maybe God just really didn't want me to go there.

What's more is that apparently, it wasn't really even an interview, but more of a presentation about the company, after which persons interested in full commission sales could indicate. At this point I can't accept a job like that, because one: I needs me a guaranteed salary! Two: EVERYBODY hates insurance sales people! Three: I've had experience with sales, and it was not my cup of tea at all. I don't like it.

HOWEVER!

With all the wandering around like a headless chicken, God taught me another lesson. It's amazing how He uses these little things to teach us. Many times we think we know what we should do, where we should go, and how to solve our problems. We think we can do good, all by ourselves. But Paul, in Romans 7 teaches us otherwise, from his own experience. He said (Rom. 7:21-25 NLT):
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.
No matter how hard we try; of our own strength, we can do NOTHING good. Every time we try, we will undoubtedly fail. That's why we gotta listen to the still, small, Voice that speaks through the Heavenly G.P.S and follow His lead; because like me, your destination could be directly in front of you and you still make a wrong turn. Don't try to be a hero, don't try to make it on your own. Also of utmost importance; like that email I got that sent me the wrong way, people and other external influences will give you advice and influence that seems right, but they will ultimately lead you on the wrong path, and at times into the windy abyss of destruction. We must follow the map that God gives. Yes, sometimes He will send people to explain the map directions to us, but we must be very careful who we trust and listen to.

So my drivers out there, even if is just a two foot turbo you have; if you always know the way to where you're going, good for you! I hope to be like that one day. But from both an earthly and spiritual plain, knowing the way comes with experience and studying the map (the Bible). Just remember, for your earthly vehicular travels you may not always need one, but you will always, ALWAYS need Heavenly G.P.S to get to heaven :)

3 comments:

  1. Great post! The same happened to me when I was in New York last year. I was suppose to meet someone at the NYC Google office and I thought I knew the place well enough and I mistakenly took the wrong subway because I wasn't using any GPS and I didnt leave out early enough. I have learn't my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post Alwayne. It has definitely lifted my spirits. I wish you the best. GOD bless ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for sharing.. Very useful information :)

    ReplyDelete