Wednesday 2 October 2013

The Job Hunt Chronicles - The Comparison

As you may (or may not) have known by now, I'm no longer in Jamaica.

If you didn't know, well... umm... SURPRISE! I'm not there anymore! I meant to tell you, but umm... it was kinda sudden and it slipped me? (Maybe?) Okay, you don't buy it. Well... I suppose I'm gonna have to make it up to you huh... Okay, when I come back; I promise. When will that be you say? Weeeeeell... Lemme get back to you on that. *wink*

I'm sure most of y'all would figure out sooner or later that I'm in America: the "Land of Opportunity".
Like I said in my earlier blog post when I left Jamaica or my article in the Jamaica Observer (which is the edited version of the blog post) I'm here to improve myself and the standard of living for me and my family.

To improve one's self in the sense of which I speak, takes "mucho dinero", "moolah", "green", "dollars"--or simply put; MONEY! As an adult, what is the number one way to acquire said money? Yes, that's right: standing on the street corner with a sign begging getting a job, duh!

Photo from www.fotopedia.com
As up to this point (October 2, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.), I am yet to arrive at my place of settlement in the great United States of America; but, since I'm all about being proactive and "nuff" in this place to get what I want since nothing will be handed out to me, I've electronically been like a hunter with bow and arrow in hand, hunting for that prized 9-5 (or otherwise) to get my dreams started. So far, I've hit a few targets in the foot, but I haven't caught dinner for the village just yet. And in case you're reading now and your face is like "o_O huh?! What is he saying?!" I'm simply using my hunter terms to tell you that I've gotten calls, had interview discussions, and even set a few interview dates; but I'm yet to snag a job. All clear? You're welcome.
This is in part due to me not yet arriving at my place of settlement like I said before, but it's certainly progress. During this process, I have already experienced a stark difference between seeking employment here and in Jamaica.

The Jamaican Job Hunt
In one simple sentence: I'm QUITE DISGUSTED at what I knew as the application process in Jamaica! 
Too many people I know can relate to this all too well. It's like trying to kill a deer with a rubber band and some paper bullets! Okay fine, upgrade that to a slingshot, but still.. Mark you, everyone has not had the same bad experiences, but for the most part, I'm quite sure the treatment received in Jamaica is pretty much standard issue; save for a few blessed hardworking, honest, equal opportunity Human Resource teams.
I don't know of any, but I'm just saying, you know, just in case there actually are some.
In Jamaica, after seeing job postings online or in the newspapers, earnest job seekers send several applications by electronic and physical mail with much anticipation for that one place to 'connect'. After all, you only need to get into one place to get something going, and then the horizon can be broadened. At this point, I really really want to blame the lack of responses on Jamaica being a third world/developing country, but bwoy... almost everyone in Jamaica has a cell phone, and most have internet access, so people can be reached instantaneously to discuss job possibilities, so that's gone through the window straightaway.

What seems to happen normally? Well, there are the sad situations like this. Then there are the ones like these: Applications pile up in H.R. offices, or are placed on 'file', for what reason, I'm not sure; since each time someone is not successful in acquiring a job, IF CONTACTED AT ALL and informed of this, the person is promised to be placed on files that merely take up space for no reason and are never revisited. I applied to one place and got this response twice. Yeah, I'm an expert. At least they responded though, right? It would appear that during the application process, the first 50 or so are considered from the top of the pile, all while knowing full well that John Smith or Mary Brown--friends from church--asked about a work for their son, daughter, brother or sister, and so that position's owner has already been decided. In Jamdung, "links run di werl". That, and I think H.R. people in JA don't care much for humans as they ought.

>>>>>>> Fast forward to America, where people actually respond! And FAAAAST too!
I guess most places in Jamaica haven't heard about auto reply to email applications, but it's all the rage here. Before you even done applying you get an email response! AAAAAANND, though annoying at times, in order to apply for jobs in most companies here, there are talent networks that you have to sign up for before applying. When you sign up, these networks send you postings to other jobs for which you are qualified based on your selected interests and qualifications! Is that awesome or what? Then, to top it all off, if you're qualified, someone (who I imagine looks a lot like this lady)
                                                                                              ------------->

named either Amanda, Katie or Jennifer calls you in a day or two, sounding really really interested in you and having you work with that company to set up an interview for the next day. I am pleased to announce that my morale has been repaired for all the non-responses to all the applications I ever made in Jamaica, I swear! And yes, I won't say links aren't used or aren't helpful up here too, but it sure feels like equal opportunity for most of these jobs.

Clearly, I know I won't be successful in snagging every single job for which I apply, but the way things seem to be going, I have no doubt that I will not be jobless for much longer. The way things work here, I feel like a lot of people who aren't working, really don''t wanna work. That's not always the case, I'm sure, but I know that a lot of people could've been doing better if they really wanted to. I've been so pleased at the process for getting a job, most times I come onto the computer planning to do one thing, I end up applying for a couple jobs! People have been calling me and sometimes I don't even remember what I applied for. Sure feels good to be contacted though. These H.R. persons even send you directions to get to the buildings for interviews! I'm super excited at the possibilities that await.

Don't worry, I'm well aware that people might be prejudiced because of my skin colour because I'm hotter than them, or because I'm an immigrant (which I find kinda dumb since America was born BECAUSE of immigrants), but I'm going forth with God, the Supreme Owner of everything; a positive outlook and humble approach. I. will. not. be. denied.

As soon as my arrow kills the game (another name for food that is hunted), I'll let the village (y'all) know.
Wish me luck!

Editor's Note: Got my first email of being unsuccessful for a freelance writing gig mere seconds after publishing this post. lol go figure!

15 comments:

  1. Jamaicans will NEVER know how poor our country is on various levels until we live in a first world country. Best of luck bro! Might haffi sen fi mi! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure you will mek it man... But just in case, I got you!

      Delete
  2. Jamaica, the land of wood and water...and apparently lack of "game". America, the land of milk and honey....I wonder who came up with these names and what were they thinking? Rooting for ya bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you the best Alwayne! Jah is your keeper so you shall not fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! I'm starting to enjoy your blogs more my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U hit the nail right on the head! Being in a similar situation, u speaketh the TRUTH!

    All the best with your "job hunting".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. lol my own terminology confused me there for a while (use of "game") but I follow now haha. I intend to!

      Delete
  7. Wow!! man i wish you well. Just stay positive and cut down all obstacles.

    ReplyDelete