Thursday 10 January 2013

I wish my Christian friends (and I) would live as such

I wish my Christian friends (and I) would live as such.

Really. That's it. I could end the post right here. But OF COURSE you know I won't.

Now, I have a burden in my heart. A burden so big that at 3:39 am on Thursday January 10, 2013, I am sacrificing sleep because I just could not wait to write this down. And stick a pin in that word; sacrifice (forgive the image, I thought it was funny though!) but I do plan to go somewhere with that.

I am a Christian. Why? Well, several reasons:
1. I was born and raised as one
2. Growing up I learned what I means to be a Christian (follower of Christ)
3. That Christ guy is pretty awesome, I hear He loves me and died for me, so I totally love Him back.
4. Based on what I learned about being a Christian I decided that was the best way to live my life.
5. True Christians will go to heaven and live forever. I don't wanna die, so yeah, I'm going to heaven.
6. Did I say Christ was awesome? I did? Okay cool :)

And I could go on and on.

Now as Christians, there are guidelines in a special book that we're supposed to use, called the Bible. *cue light from heaven and bible slowly descending* (yes, that book in the corner with the dust on it!)
In the bible we see how Christ (Jesus/God the son--same person) lived when He was on earth, and we regard Him as the ultimate example. Even before that we have the 10 commandments, and afterwards, several guidelines given by Jesus Himself, and later on the apostles such as Peter, John, and Paul.

Now here is where the big ole lump starts to form in my cardiac muscle... ok fine, Heart.
As Christians we have all these guidelines in the bible, not to mention the things we're taught in church. My question is, WHY DI HECK-- *ahem* Why in the good Lord's name don't we follow these things? Wah wrong wid wi?

Let me first point out that sin is sin. All sin is sin. Big sin, little sin is still sin. All of them are equal. Hard to see that way but it's true. I am a sinner. A big ole dutty sinner. Mi nuh betta dan nobody. But you know what? Mi try. I really do. I try to live like Jesus would. Yes sometimes I curse in my mind, or aloud (when I'm alone), I may tell a pink lie, talk bout something on Sabbath that I shouldn't, lust etc. And wah mi seh before? Big ones, little ones, a sin is still a sin. But you know what? I don't go out trying to do wrong on purpose Sunday-Friday to come siddung and beg for forgiveness on Sabbath. You just does not does dat.

Here is my burden. My burden is the Christians who purpose inna dem heart fi do everything they shouldn't in the week, and then sing "All to Jesus I surrender..." on Sabbath... well, if they're not too tired to go to church anyway. It GRIEVE mi. Is like there's no regard for God again. In this age of social media, you can hardly tell who is who! Christian and non Christian alike just mix up so, one and the same. Everybody cussin badword like sailors, having sex all ova the place and telling tales, smoking, partying all over the place, and every minute somebody drinking this, and sipping that, and sacrificing some brain cells for a temporary tipsy feeling. And the worst part is the "mi nuh care who waa see" and the "doe seh nuttin to me" kinda attitudes. Then, everybody draws for the "don't judge me" card.

I'm not God still, I cyaa judge a soul. But I'm learning that in times like these, I have to call a spade a spade and tell it like it is. This kind of living sickens me. The worse thing about it, people who usually worry about being judged, know exactly what it is they're doing wrong.

I hurt most to see people who I consider my friends, and their blatant disregard for God, at least publicly anyway. I wish I could slap the hell outta them  do something to help them see that in the end, all the gallivanting isn't worth it. You drink your problems away today, you still have 5 exams tomorrow... and a massive headache. You have sex with that guy/girl today--feels good in the moment (maybe? maybe not?); tomorrow you're calling and the person refuses to pick up, or you discover (in a couple more tomorrows) that 1+1 can actually equal 3 (hope y'all get that). We feel soooo invincible today, and tomorrow we in the hospital, or maybe we don't even get there. God forbid, you're on your way from a party, car crashes... Nobody wants to hear that.

The truth is we all spend our lives chasing after fleeting joys and temporary highs, only to discover like Solomon in Ecclesiastes 1:14 when he said "I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind. (ESV)" And remember, this guy was a king who had all the wealth in the world, along with 700 wives and 300 concubines! oh! He was also the wisest man. Ever.

We don't know when our time is, and so we can't take it for granted that we can have fun today and go to church tomorrow. Yes it worked out that way for some, but they will tell you not to waste your time, 'cause it's not worth it. Plus life isn't fair; maybe you live to repent, and maybe you don't. Besides, perhaps one day you finally will come around, and commit fully to God, but you may not be able to witness to some people because of the lives they saw you live. The classic line, "him a did Christian?!" or "she a did Christian?!" should never reach any of us, but at the current rate, that may very well be the case for some of us.

It's not time to blend in or fit in. Ellen White said, "The greatest want of the world is the want of men [and women]—men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall." Mi tiyad fi see my friends, who I love, looking just like any worldly person out there. Is full time Christian friends (and I) live as such.

I know this post was pretty long, hope you read to this point. Thanks for sacrificing the time :) If you have friends that aren't living the way they should as Christians, tactfully talk to them, see if you can help them along, or if you're reading right now and what I've said applies to you, all is not lost. You can still give Jesus everything and live like you're truly His! Make the sacrifice of yourself to God's cause and not the fleeting worldly desires. AND I also hope you have a little more time on your hands to sacrifice (like 11mins and 20secs more :D), to listen to this song.
After everything is said and done, It Pays to Serve Jesus. *song time* click the link, and share if you really believe what I'm saying.

p.s. It was 4:53 am when I finished this. See how much I love y'all?! 

2 comments:

  1. I most definitely agree with you, Alwin. I had a 'Chirstian shock', for want of a better term, about what my fellow Christians thought was okay to do outside of marriage. I thought to myself, "You may think it's okay but you have to answer to GOD."

    It is truly a struggle being a Christian and that is no excuse for our behaviour. I'm guilty of many things and I am really trying to be different.

    Thank you for posting. I thought I was the only one seeing this in our 'world soon dun'

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just gotta do our best and ensure not to follow the crowd.

    ReplyDelete